Monday, November 30, 2009

Perkins


This year has been a rough one. Both of Garrett's grandparents on his mom's side have passed away. For seven years I have visited with them once a week sometimes two. When I was pregnant with Allie I would come in the morning and swim. Grandma would meet me at the door, and lead me to the couch where she had set aside my swimming suit and towel. Then give me a head visor for my eyes (she never let me forget it) and would talk with me after. Then later, we would come to dinner once a week and they would play with the kids. Every time I saw Grandpa he would ask "What do you know Jen?" Only in the beginning it was Jange, or Ginger (two beloved dogs) It took about 3 years for him to call me by name. He once snuck out of the house and came to hospital after I had one of the kids and asked to see Ginger Boswell. The nurse had to call me to see if I knew a strange man named Perkins before they would let him in. Every Wednesday Grandma would go shopping with Jodie and almost always ended up buying something for the kids. They have always been the best dressed kids I know. When Grandma passed away in Jan. we were so grateful she was out of pain. But Grandpa fell into a cloud of unhappiness wanting to join his wife of 67 years. Then less than 1 year later. Grandpa went into the hospital exactly at the same time as Grandma went into the hospital for the exact same problem. He was in the hospital for the last week, came home Sat. and died around 3:00 am on Sun. Morning. It took only 9 days for him to go from functional to dead. All he wanted was to come home. As Allie said when we told her Grandpa died and is now with Grandma "Oh good, he wanted to die, now he is happy!" I know he is happy, both his wife and his son (who had passed away 57 years ago age 10) are with him now but I will miss both of them. They both treated me as a granddaughter from day 1. Grandpa used to get me a honey baked ham for Thanksgiving and Christmas waiting in very long lines (and he didn't wait in lines for anything) every time because he knew I liked them. He worried more about my health and weight than I did and would hide Twinkies but then get pizza and push me to eat more! We talked about a lot of things he didn't feel like he could tell anyone else, and I was pretty good at pushing him to get do things he didn't want to do. Even knowing he is happy with grandma I will still think of them on Thursdays. My last memory of Grandpa was visiting him in the hospital, he was in and out of his head, and everyone was talking and I was holding his hand while he slept and he turned over and looked me in the eye and said, "Hi Jen". I loved them.

8 comments:

Syl said...

A very nice tribute, Jen. He and Bobbie were very good to you and I have always been grateful to them for that. I will miss him too. He really took care of his family. I am glad you got to get to know him so well and that your kids got to know him so well too!

Anonymous said...

Well said. My condolences to you all.

Ryan

Becky said...

They are both very nice, and welcoming. That is how I felt each time I saw them. I am glad they are together again.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen! That was very touching. I am sorry. I remember them being very nice and caring people when I came to visit you and we went swimming. I am glad they are together again too. LOVE YOU!!!!
-Kay Dee

Leslie said...

Oh I just teared up. What a special relationship to have in your -and your children's- lives. There really is no one like grandparents. How lucky you are to have lived so close and have so many memories together. This post was so beautifully written and I'm glad to have learned a little more about them.

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry for your family's loss. I just read your post for a second time and it still chokes me up. Know that I'm thinking about you. Love you, Nancy

Anonymous said...

Jen, there is nothing I can say. I am so sorry for you and your family! I didn't meet your Grandma, but I really enjoyed visiting with your Grandpa last time I was there.

(I'll be calling you - I'm waaaaay overdue anyway.)

Lonna said...

How wonderful to know that you and your family were so special to them both. You know that you are special to someone when they wait in a line for something just for YOU! What a sweet experience it was for him to have you in his life as well.

I think that is really neat that your kids saw the relationship that you were able to have with him, and also to see the bigger picture of him wanting to be with his wife, even though that meant he would no longer be here. You are a very special person Jen, and I am glad that you were able to be there with him in the end. Thank you for sharing this lovely bond with the rest of us.