Thursday, September 4, 2008

Age

Today I thought I would reminisce on all the things I have learned in my old age, or at least my old body. Tomorrow I turn 33 (I have assured Garrett it's a big one because both numbers match and for the last 6 months I thought I was 33 already) and I have a few words of wisdom and warning for those following (in age)

First the older I get the less I know. Really, I can't remember any of the stuff I used to know. I'm sure I knew a whole bunch of stuff but I get any of it to hold still long enough to find or use it. So enjoy being a know it all because soon you won't be able to find it.

Second the older I get the cuter I get in my very young pictures. Pictures that devastated me at the time now are so cute! I looked great! O.k. there is still the one 8th grade pictures that no amount of time will make cute but other than that wow!

Third, have you noticed how young the missionaries are getting? I remember watching the deacon's in my grandparents ward and thinking aren't they cute. Then I noticed the priest blessing the sac. (I don't know what happened to the teachers either they were ugly or they didn't stand where I could see them) Then the extremely untouchable missionaries, years of not having any of them meeting me in the eye, now I'm in the "Safe" age of older women that feed missionaries and remind them of if not their mothers at least their aunts. I miss being dangerous.

Fourth, I'm so glad I waited until I was 27 before having any kids. The only thing I am sad about is I didn't have Garrett up until then. I wish I had waiting a little longer with just Garrett before bring in the teaming hordes because they NEVER leave. Yep that's right, they never go away. When we had Allie, if she wasn't in my arms, I kept looking around because I was missing something. The others came along and now I go on a date when I can't stand it anymore and all it does it make me want more time without them! Those without children please sit on your couch, cuddle up with your honey or pillow and enjoy the silence for me. Please put a glass vase or candy dish down low and just watch it stay put. Enjoy knowing the when the mood strikes you can do something about it then not 3 hours later. (Now I just sound like an ED commerical :) )

And the last thing I have learned in my old age is: I never have to go back!!!! I never have to go back to High School and the feelings that came with it, I never have to be 20 and single again, wondering not only will I ever be married but what the heck am I going to do with myself for the rest of my life. I will never be 30 again and pregnant wondering if I will ever see my feet again, and please let this baby fat fall off after. I will never be childless again (small sigh) It only gets better. Each year is better than the rest and with each passing day, I get closer to going home! Each day things that were so dire and caused stress join the no big deal, who cares pile. Each day I age I get that much closer to being so wrinkly it won't matter if I'm fat too! Here's to 33 and beyond...

5 comments:

Terry Neff Allen said...

Nice post. I like the shared wisdom! I will try to take the advice to heart, except the knowing it all part. I forgot everything I knew right after I got out of high school, and now despite my best efforts, any new knowledge gained is lost so fast I can hardly call it gained in the first place.

Terry Neff Allen said...

Um, whoops. I am logged in under my mother-in-law. This is BEcky.

Stacey said...

Everything you said I feel the same. Missionaries are looking like babies these days. I'm trailing right behind you. I love the fact that we never have to go back to being a certain age. 21 was depressing and hard. Don't get me started on 15. Or 18 for that matter. Happy Birthday to an amzing girl!

Syl said...

Happy birthday! I loved your post and need to tell you that your brains come back in the 50's! Something to look forward to! and as old as you think you are, I'll always be older and think you look great!

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday to you!!! Just so you know your still young and your still cute as hell....and the missionaries look twelve. When did that happen???
Love you, Kay Dee