Saturday, June 21, 2008

Emergency Room

Well we ended up taking Liesel to the ER yesterday. We were getting ready to go swimming and I was pulling on floatys on the kids arms when I created the "Nursemaid elbow" on Liesel. For those of you who havent' heard of it, I'll tell you because chances are good you too will end up in the ER for it. When your kid falls to the ground and leaves you holding their arm, yanks away from you again leaving you with their arm or even pushing a floaty on their arm one of the bones in the elbow pops out and rests next to the socket. The doctor then turns their hand up and bends the hand up towards the shoulder and it pops back in. Allie has had it twice and now Liesel. Apparently the Ehlers Danlos (loose joints) that runs in the family makes this happen more often than usual. So beware the floatys! On the other hand Liesel came away with a juice box and a anklet just like a water park bracelet, which seems to make it all worth while to Liesel but man it was an expensive juice box for momma.

7 comments:

Lonna said...

I am really glad that you mentioned this, because Gwen seems to have inherited more from James than I thought. He can dislocate his shoulder, an old party trick of his. Until it got so loose that it would come out on its own when he would throw a ball or use any kind of force with his arm.

Anyways I was getting Gwen ready to go somewhere and we were taking of her pajama shirt and I had her lift up her arms (much less drama to do both arms at once) and when she put her arms down she started swinging her right arm from her side to the front and I heard a click, click, and then she said "fix it mom" I was stunned and horrified at the same time. And puzzled that she knew to ask to fix it, but now all is well, but as for the loose joints, not really a fun game.

Especially when you are paying those kinds of ER costs for some juice and a bracelet.

I am glad that she is alright. Nice save.

Syl said...

I am SO glad Liesel is all right! That is scary! Tell those gumby kids to knock it off!

Becky said...

Yikes. I'm sure that was not fun for you. Sounds like Liesel handled it ok though so that is good.

Leslie said...

Oh dear. I put those floaties on the twins every day! I have noticed sometimes I have to force them. I'm glad Liesel is ok and you all survived the emergency room. Maddie pretty much had to be straight jacketed and strapped to the table for a few stitches. I can't imagine this procedure would be any more pleasant. So thanks for the heads up! I love seeing the doctor about as much as I love paying for the visit, though juice boxes there is a nice touch.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen,
You brought back bad memories (that's OK. It's not your fault). Samantha had "nursemaid's elbows". She dislocated so often that she would get silent, hoping we wouldn't notice. Then she would scream bloody murder as soon as she some someone in a white lab jacket. Not fun, but they usually grow out of it. I still get shudders when anyone swings a child around in circles just holding onto their hands!
Glad Liesel is OK.
love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Yeah, proof reading is a good idea. Towards the end of my previous comment, make that "saw someone".
more love, Linda

Stacey said...

good grief!!....are you home yet?