Thursday, October 16, 2008

Twilight Zone

I have discovered besides the constant guilt of not doing enough the other feeling I have everyday, as a parent, is one of stepping onto the twilight zone. Most of the time I have no idea what the kids are talking about or if they are even talking to me. You may ask, are you on something? The answer is yes, but nothing that would produce this kind of effect. For example: I am sitting at the computer, liesel is riding her tricycle outside. Sounds normal huh? She has a monolog going something like this "Mom, it's a red light and I'm ready to go! (this is repeated 4 times)" So I answer "What?" and she says "I'm not talking to YOU" Then Allie walks up and says "I know where my mole is!" Was is gone? Had we been talking of moles? Have I even seen her in the last 45 min.? Allie then goes outside and says "it's a green light" and they both go off and swing. If there is someone out there that speaks little girl I would appreiciate a translation of what just happen, or maybe not depending on what really did happen...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Mom, it's a red light and I'm ready to go!" refers to the realization that part of her is you and you her; and wondering if you'll still be a part of her when you die. The parallels can be drawn between you both emphasized by the fear of death (because of the word red. You have red hair. Hair is dead. It's about death!). Repeated 4 times represents the 4 phases one encounters with coming to terms with losing a loved one.

Allie's "I know where my mole is!" and "it's a green light" can accurately be interpreted as: "I'm hungry".

Ryan Barlow PhD
Dept. of Little Girl Linguistics

Syl said...

You are not alone! I still don't speak 'little girl' or even 'little boy' all that well!

Lonna said...

Listen I am in the same zone as you, I can only catch parts of some of the things that Gwen rambles off, She speaks at 90 MPH on a slow day.

I have no idea what is going to happen when both the kids can talk to each other. I suppose that I will just ignore them and hope that James can figure something out.

Becky said...

I have no experience in the area. Sorry. I think Ryan's interpretation is probably close though...

Anonymous said...

See, they were pretending and completely oblivious that you were hearing anything. Liesel was the daughter, and Allie was the mom. Why they had a pet mole I don't know. Guaranteed she wasn't talking to you.

The girls used to this to me all the time, not so often now. They'd keep yelling "Mommy," or asking "Mommy?" but it wasn't for me. They were pretending to be moms, playing school, in a pretend restaurant, or whatever. I'd know they were playing but than there's always those ones that catch your ear that sound more convincing than the others. I'd say, "what," and than I'd get the, "not you." Or, they'll switch it on you. They'll have been pretending, but then want you, and you won't realize it.