Thursday, February 19, 2009

Miss Independence

I am starting to think I will never understand Allie. She is definitely Garrett's kid. She has been telling me she wants to learn to play the piano and I told her I would teach if she really wanted to. She decided she wanted to learn by herself and danged if she didn't. She taught herself Twinkle, twinkle little star, ABC's and Baa baa black sheep. (all the same tune) she just figured it out. Then I tried to teach her how to read, and the expected "I want to learn by myself" up and I thought I'll try again later. Well she just found the hooked on phonics program I was going to use and has just sat down and started reading the little books. She is on book 4. Where's the fun in that? What does that say about my teaching?? I must be even worse than I originally saw...I knew there was a reason I changed my major from Education to Horticulture in college.

4 comments:

Syl said...

There must be a lot of you in Allie because you did the same thing to be about sewing and cooking and crocheting,....need I mention more?

Anonymous said...

Ya I am with Sylvia, that sounds like you, especially the natural musical ability! -Kay Dee

Becky said...

HaHa. She definitely has a strong personality. This is not a reflection of your teaching skills, you have taught me things before and did great!

Lonna said...

Hey send her my way I am pretty sure that Gwen could use some of that example and maybe teach her some awesome skills. As far as music abilities I think that Allie got our share too. That is so neat that she is motivated enough to actually do the things that she says, but frustrating as a mom to not be able to help.