Thursday, August 20, 2009

New Friends

Allie has been very afraid she won't have any friends so her aunt Lindsay told her to just go up to kids and ask if they want to be her friend until one does. So after her first day, as we were walking home I asked if she had met any new friends and she broke my heart. She told me went up to lots of kids and asked them but they all said they already had a friend. Then she said maybe they were just nervous too. It took me straight back to preschool when she was 18 mon. and would go into crowds of kids and say Hi, Allie! Over and and over and the kids didn't know what to do with her so they ignored her. I'm happy to say the next day she told me she made a friend and not only were they friends but they had decided to be "Best Friends". How did they meet you ask? They both had fish crackers, she couldn't remember her name but dropped "my best friend" into a lot of conversation. Then the third day she came back and said a girl came up to her best friend Natalie (yes she did finally find out her name) and her and asked if she could be friends with them. Of course Allie didn't catch her name. Allie is more like her mama than I thought.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Oh how sad!!! I would probably give up right there. Brave girl to see that maybe they were just nervous too. I am really glad she found a friend.

Syl said...

Making friends at any age is not an easy task. I am so proud of Allie for not giving up. She is well on her way to making lots of friends!

Kerry said...

Allie is a trooper, and so so brave. I STILL cannot go up to people and ask if they want to be my friend. I just rely on the fact that people who are related to me (by blood and marriage) are forced to be nice to me... ;-) Way to go Allie!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story! I love Allie, tell her I want to be her friend too. -Kay Dee